Monday October 19, 2009

On Monday, Shannon had a full day of tests and consultations.  Dr. Watson had promised her on the weekend that he would try to get someone to come and do a swallow test to see if she could have her feeding tube removed.  He also requested a speech, strength and cognition test from the rehabilitation department to see if they would consider moving Shannon to the rehab building earlier, in light of her incredible progress.  Initially, we had been told that she would be in the stroke ward for about 2 weeks, at which point they would determine if a move to rehab was appropriate, so this possibility after only 3 days was encouraging to say the least!

I had a full day of piecing together Shannon's work life, suspending monthly memberships temporarily, banking and the like..  As a result of this challenge, I also took the time to edit my own phone book so that no names appear as nicknames or initials and all appointments have times, names & notes.  If anyone has to step into my life anytime soon, you are WELCOME.  It should be easy now!  (Those who know me well just started making bets on how long this will last.  I'll put $50.00 on less than one month).

When I finally got to the hospital, I ran into Shannon's parents in the parking lot.  Shannon's father had to go back to Vancouver for work, so his mother was driving him to the airport.  As I approached them to say goodbye Shannon's mother greeted me with a big smile and told me enthusiastically "She moved!!  She got moved to special services and they are starting her rehab right away!!"  She explained how to find my way to Shannon's new room, on the opposite end of the massive foothills campus, and none of us could stop smiling.

I couldn't get to Shannon's room fast enough!  When I walked in, Shannon was sitting up in a wheelchair and she and Janine were sitting and visiting.  Her new room was spacious, cozy, with a wardrobe for her things, a window (overlooking the gym, not outside, but still, a window!) and a lot more space for visitors.  Shannon spirits were visibly lifted.  Her feeding tube was out, and even her paralysis in her face looked improved, it was as though a considerable weight had lifted and it wouldn't be as bad to be here as she thought.

Joanna, Janine and Shannon’s mom had bought or brought her all of her favorite toiletry items, some of her own clothing, her ipod and some movies to make her stay as comfortable as possible. Janine got right to work getting Shannon settled in while Shannon and I visited, and I updated her on what I had figured out from the list we had created the day prior.  It seemed her memory was improving by the hour, and was able to tell me two of the names she hadn’t been able to think of in spite of her best efforts the day prior. She was speaking even more clearly, and her vocabulary seemed like it had doubled in a day. She spoke slowly, deliberately and occasionally substituted words or forgot what she was going to say, but her renewed optimism allowed her to shake her head, or shrug and say “Oh well”  and laugh it off when she was having trouble, instead of getting frustrated.

We were all in great spirits, and chatted as though we weren’t at the Hospital at all.  Shannon was looking forward to her first meal in days and we joked about what on earth the hospital kitchen would come up for a lactose free, gluten free meal.

As we talked Shannon shifted in her seat to watch Janine organizing her growing collection of ‘stuff’ and then all of a sudden got up and walked toward the window ledge where her toiletries were located!  I wish I could remember what Janine and I actually shouted at her, but in all the excitement, even as I think back on it now, it just sounds like teenage girls shrieking.  Shannon turned around leaned on the edge, smiled at us both and said “I know.”

Joy mixed with relief makes for a funny cocktail of emotion.  For the first time in 4 days, I suddenly had an appetite.  More than that.  I was famished.  Once we had confirmation that Shannon’s meal was on its way, Janine and I excused ourselves to see what the cafeteria had to offer.

We stepped into the elevator and the two of us could not stop grinning at each other.  Janine was bubbling over and said “Oh my God, I am so relieved!”  I completely understood what she meant.  As we examined the rather meager offerings of the hospital cafeteria, we couldn’t stop smiling, laughing and saying “Can you believe this?!”  We even managed to talk about stuff other than strokes, doctors, logistics, to-do lists etc for the first time in what felt like a very long time.  Janine and I purchased a half dozen drink options (apparently joy makes you thirsty too!) some stuff that resembled food, and headed back up to Shannon’s room for a fun-filled evening with good friends.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Shannon.....this is SO amazing! I got goose bumps as I was reading it!!!! You are so determined, and will be back at it in no time!!! We are so proud of you!!!!!!

    Mel and Clay

    ReplyDelete